Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I left my heart in San Francisco


Hey so do you know Tony Bennett? Great American Songbook, tuxedos, cocaine addiction, as pictured above, Tony Bennett? Did you know he was also a painter? DID YOU KNOW HE WAS AT THE SOCIETY OF ILLUSTRATORS SKETCH NIGHT I WENT TO LAST NIGHT?

I bet not.
Well he was! He was sitting two chairs down from me and his drawings were pretty good, and he told me to take care or something at the end. So bizarre! He's not like a big celebrity nowadays or anything but it was just really cool/weird/alternate universe.
Needless to say I am definitely going to the one next week SO WE'LL SEE WHO'S THE CELEBRITY GUEST = me.
My dad took the train in with me and walked me part of the way because he had to meet someone in the city and it was raining... so it was time for the embarrassing big umbrella. I think he looks really funny in this picture because of how big his umbrella is... BUT DON'T TELL HIM THAT. He kept whacking people in the head as he walked by because it was so unnecessarily gigantic (what would Tony Bennett think?). Alright now that you're looking at that picture .... DRAWING ATTACK
This one got smudged a lot because it (and all of the others) are in chalk pastel but who knows? Maybe that will make me famous?
This last one is my favorite. With this last round of figure drawing, it shocks me how aggressively uninterested I am in the faces of the models. It's kind of horrifying now that I'm looking at them the wacky knob things I slap up there with basically no features. But how can you look the face when you have the hips?!?! That is my personal philosophy at least.

1 comment: